Shorter daylight hours and cooler weather mean lawns and gardens need less water. Vista Irrigation District is asking its customers to practice “Shorter Days, Shorter Watering Times.” Below are winter water use efficiency tips:
- Do not irrigate within 48 hours of rainfall.
- Water in early morning or late evening to reduce evaporation and wind interference.
- Turn on your irrigation system to check for leaks, over-spray, water pressure issues and broken components, and fix them promptly.
- Irrigate smarter. Customize your watering schedule to the weather and your plants’ watering needs using a Landscape Water Calculator.
- Learn to care for your trees. Click here for information on tree care resources.
Browse San Diego County Water Authority’s free e-guide to living a WaterSmart lifestyle and find helpful water efficient practices for the holidays and all year long.