Enterprise System Catalog
The California Public Records Act requires local agencies such as the Vista Irrigation District to create a catalog of Enterprise Systems and post it on its website. Annual updates also are required.
An Enterprise System is a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public; and
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency.
An Enterprise System does not include any of the following:
- Information technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19 of the California Public Records Act.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.
The California Public Records Act requires agencies such as the Vista Irrigation District to:
- Create a catalog of enterprise systems, containing:
- Current system vendor.
- Current system product.
- System's purpose.
- A description of categories of types of data.
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data.
- The frequency that the system data is collected.
- The frequency that the system data is updated.
- To make the catalog publicly available upon request.
- To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency's website.
Exception: If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.Enterprise System Catalog