Water Rate & Fee Schedule Effective March 1, 2019

Water bills mailed on or after March 1, 2019 will reflect an increase in the water usage charge due to increased costs from the San Diego County Water Authority (Water Authority). The increases from the Water Authority are related to the higher cost of purchasing water from the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California as well as increases in the cost of Carlsbad desalination plant water. Water from the desalination plant provides the region with highly reliable water supply and is one of the key components of the Water Authority’s water supply diversification strategy.


As shown on the graph below, approximately 11% of the revenue generated by water usage charges is utilized by the Vista Irrigation District to cover operating and maintenance expenses.  The remaining 89% is used to pay the Water Authority for water purchases.


Water Usage Charge Allocation Graph: CWA 89%, 11% VID

 A typical residential customer’s bill (3/4” meter and 24 units/bi-monthly billing) will increase by less than a half of a percent. The water usage charge in each tier is increasing by 3 cents per billing unit while the service charge and emergency storage fee are remaining the same. Below are links to two documents; one showing the financial impact of the water usage charge increase on a typical residential customer and the other showing full rate and fee schedule effective March 1, 2019.


March 1, 2019 Water Usage Charge Increase - Typical Customer ImpactWater Rate and Fee Schedule Effective March 1, 2019