Fall is here; as temperatures begin to cool and days get shorter, landscapes need less water. Check out these fall water use efficiency tips:
- Set your irrigation clock an hour back and replace your batteries when daylight saving time ends
- Water in early morning or late evening to reduce evaporation and wind interference.
- Consider installing a rain barrel collection system to harvest rain water. For more information visit www.socalwatersmart.com
- Adjust irrigation controllers to cut back on watering days and times. Use the Landscape Water Calculator to determine your plants’ watering needs.
- Inspect your irrigation system for leaks, over-spray, water pressure issues and broken components, and fix them promptly.
- Refresh mulch around trees and plants to reduce evaporation and prevent weed growth.
Need help assessing your irrigation system? Take advantage of a free WaterSmart Check-up, which includes site-specific water-saving recommendations from a certified irrigation professional. Click here for more information or to schedule an appointment.